Friday, March 12, 2010

How Do You Lead? An Experiment in Clown Logic


Those who know me (and regular readers of this blog) are aware that I make no secret of my theatrical background.  In fact, I use my Theatre training in almost every aspect of my life--in particular, my job as an academic advisor for first-year students at Virginia Commonwealth University.  I have spent the past several months applying for leadership positions (both internally and at other universities).  No working professional should allow their skills to become stagnant and I always want to grow and learn.  Because I have been applying for "leadership" positions, I have constantly asked myself what being a "leader" actually means.  How does one lead?  How do I lead?  I figured it out yesterday.

I was in my supervisor's office, speaking with him about a student whose case was about to go before an appeal committee.  One of my colleagues entered the office with a quick question and my supervisor made a joke about needing to leave because he had theatre tickets.  My colleague responded by saying that what "we" needed wasn't important and then proceeded to grab my arm and drag me out of my supervisor's office.

My colleague had not taken the time to find out what I needed to speak with my supervisor about.  My colleague also physically manhandled me to get me to do what she wanted me to do.

That would never work in clowning.

My advisor friends will laughingly tell you that I am the only person they know who has taken a graduate-level  clowning class.  I was fortunate enough to take a master class with the man pictured above (Avner Eisenberg, a world-renowned mime, juggler, and clown).  Any professional clown will tell you that comedy (like leadership) has rules you have to follow.

  • A good clown ALWAYS listens: to other performers, and to his audience.  Even if you are doing a "solo" performance, your audience is your partner...if you don't listen to how they are responding to the things you say and do, your performance will fail.
  • A good clown breathes before he begins.  This seems like common sense.  We ALL breathe!  But a clown has to pause at the beginning of his or her show and start to breathe WITH the audience.  You need to be working in sync with those around you.  And you should always take a second to pause and process before you speak!
  • A good clown asks rather than demands.  A lot of clowns will do "audience participation" gags.  Going into the audience is a risk--you never know how someone will react to your presence (which generally makes people VERY nervous).  But there are things you can do to ease that discomfort.  If you want someone to come onstage with you, just put out your hand.  If the audience member wants to participate, they will put their hand in yours---you will know that they are WILLING.  Why would you physically grab someone and force them to do something they don't want to do?  Why would we, as leaders, force our employees to do things that they are uncomfortable doing?  
  • A good clown helps us to laugh at our failings.  I used to keep a quote on my wall from the incomparable Emma Thompson, "Laughter is a celebration of our failings.  That's what clowns are for, and that's what I am."  We all have shortcomings (as people and as employees).  A good clown can point out those shortcomings...gently...and then help you see how humorous they really are.  A good leader can show you that your shortcomings don't always have to be shortcomings.  You can turn a negative into a positive.
  • A good clown knows who he or she is.  The Vaudeville-based clown is a distilled version of yourself.  The performer will take their physical and psychological characteristics and then choose some to minimize (and others to maximize).  But beyond all things, the clown is rooted in a deep-down understanding of WHO YOU ARE.  If you don't know your own strengths and weaknesses, you should not lead others.


I believe in laughing at the things that happen on a daily basis.  We can only deal with things as they happen, and then plan better for the next time.  But life (and work) will always surprise us, so I would rather face it with a sense of humor and by working with those around me...and by occasionally wearing my clown nose.

No comments: